If you need help with a sustainable tourism initiative, I’d love to work with you! My areas of specialty are sustainable tour operations, corporate social responsibility, and linking community-based development projects with the tourism supply chain. My full CV is available below. I look forward to hearing from you!
Program Manager in sustainable tourism and international development. Four years of experience in travel-based philanthropy and social innovation initiatives as well as tour operations and travel logistics. Expertise in project planning and implementation, monitoring and evaluation, proposal writing, and fundraising. Highly organized and adept at cross-cultural communication. Passion for linking tourism with environmental conservation, cultural preservation, and international development.
SUSTAINABLE TOURISM EXPERIENCE
Center for Responsible Travel, Washington, DC
Conference Coordinator/ Researcher, January 2013-June 2013
- Coordinated programming and event details for Innovators Symposium on Coastal Tourism, held in Los Cabos, Mexico.
- Wrote and produced event materials including program, web copy, and guest information guide. Designed and created pop-up banners, posters, and signage for event site.
- Facilitated communications between speakers, attendees, and event staff in DC and Mexico.Publicized conference on social media and created online follow-up evaluation survey for attendees.
- Publicized major fundraising auction through social media campaign.
- Conducted research on new developments in environmental impacts of cruises and coastal tourism for forthcoming book publication.
Planeterra Foundation, Cairo, Egypt
Graduate Researcher in Project Evaluation and Development, September 2011—March 2012
- Designed study to identify and evaluate 35 existing community-based field projects in post-Mubarak Egypt for suitability of forming linkages with tourism economy. Projects included education initiatives, handicraft and small business associations, and environmental conservation projects.
- Conducted qualitative field research and collected data using Participatory Rural Appraisal techniques including transect walks and informal interviews with project managers and beneficiaries.
- Evaluated tourism projects using newly developed project selection framework. Metrics included management, transparency, efficacy of programs, sustainability, feasibility of visits by occasional tour groups, and ability to support fundraising efforts by inspiring potential donors.
- Facilitated selection of 3 new projects for ongoing partnerships with Planeterra and G Adventures Travel. Shaped terms of partnership including determining specific activities to be funded, determining of metrics for monitoring and evaluation, and frequency of tour group visits.
- Trained local Egyptian tour leaders for G Adventures Travel on basic principles of sustainable tourism. Recruited, interviewed and trained new liaison from among the Egyptian tour leaders to continue monitoring projects for Planeterra and G Adventures after my departure.
- Reported directly to Megan Epler Wood, co-executive director of Planeterra and founder of The International Ecotourism Society.
- Wrote Master’s Thesis on Linking Tourism with Sustainable Development in Post-Revolutionary Egypt.
Harvard Extension School, Cambridge, MA
Sustainable Tourism Teaching Assistant, Sept 2012—Dec 2012
- Worked with Megan Epler Wood to deliver high quality course on environmental management of international tourism destinations.
- Provided instructional support, tutoring, academic feedback, and grading for hybrid learning environment of classroom-based and distance-based students.
- Maintained course website and e-communications with up-to-date course materials, readings, and lectures. Moderated online class discussions.
- Arranged eco-tour and site visit for students to a local industry leader in the sustainable hospitality field.
Europ Assistance USA, Bethesda, MD
Travel Emergency Care Manager, January 2010—July 2010
- Provided real-time assistance to travelers with medical emergencies around the world, including facilitation of on-location doctor and hospital visits and provision of translators.
- Orchestrated travel logistics for medical evacuation and repatriation of travelers with serious injuries, including arrangement of flights, accommodations, and nurse escorts.
- Arranged hospital and insurance billing to travelers’ home countries and kept confidential records in compliance with HIPPA.
Intrepid Travel, Morocco, Russia, Mongolia, and China
Tour Leader, January 2008—September 2009
- Led 9-day to 21-day small group adventure tours. Coordinated extensive trip logistics, including accommodation, local and private transport, meals, and locally-led city and wilderness tours.
- Interpreted social, historical, and cultural information in each country and facilitated authentic interactions between tourists and locals. Educated tourists on basic principles of sustainable tourism.
- Supported fundraising efforts for the Intrepid Foundation by conducting site visits to supported projects
- Maintained trip accounts, ensured trips ran according to budget, and completed detailed trip reports.
- Recognized by management as outstanding tour leader in Morocco.
ADDITIONAL INTERNATIONAL DEVELOPMENT/ COMMUNICATIONS EXPERIENCE
Visiseek, Washington, DC
Communications Associate, August 2012-present
- Conducted communications, marketing, and social media campaigns for corporate clients across a range of sectors including travel, fashion, and food and beverage.
- Wrote SEO-optimized blog posts and placed them on industry-specific websites to achieve clients’ marketing goals. Blogs have been picked up by the Huffington Post and other outlets.
- Wrote SEO-optimized copy for client websites to drive user engagement and increase sales.
Chemonics International, Washington, DC
Temporary Operations Associate, July 2013—November 2013
- Processed USAID contracts, subcontracts, and grants and ensured proper compliance review processes. Tracked contract, subcontract, and grant funds in excel and prepared weekly reports for executive office.
- Prepared documents and managed schedule and correspondence for Senior Vice President of Contracts.
- Ensured that documents from external departments were signed and returned within one business day. Handled administrative responsibilities for fast-paced support department within a large organization.
- Recruited new department staff and conducted interviews and reference checks for potential hires.
- Edited and created extensive updates to Contract Operations Training Manual, including creation of new explanatory documents and infographics to speed training time for new hires.
Brandeis University, Waltham MA M.A. Sustainable International Development 2012
Fellowships and Awards: 50th Anniversary Alumni Fellowship, Heller Annual Fund Book Award
Smith College, Northampton, MA B.A. French and Medieval Studies 2006
Sorbonne Paris IV/ Smith College Junior Year in Paris 2004-2005
Fellowships and Awards: Blumberg Travel Fellowship, Stride Research Fellowship, Smith Book Award
Languages: Fluent French
International Experience: France, Morocco, Egypt, Italy, Russia, Mongolia, China
Technical Skills: Gender Analysis, Qualitative and Quantitative Research, Proposal Writing, Fundraising
Computer Skills: Microsoft Office, Adobe Creative Suite, WordPress, Google Analytics